Friday 30 March 2018

Going Blind

This article inspired this post.

---
I’m going blind.  
And yes, my family and my besties know, hence me blogging.
  • 1995: both retinas detached (I was 21)
    • I had invasive surgery on my right eye, laser surgery on my left eye
    • Plastic ‘hold it all together’ buckles were fitted to the back of both eyes
      • 95% peripheral vision loss in right eye
      • 15% peripheral vision loss in left eye
  • 2005:  I had surgery to remove the buckles as they had caused so much scar tissue to both eyes and were causing more problems than they initially solved
  • 2010: passed DVLA checks
  • 2012: As the scar tissue continued to develop, I was diagnosed with posterior sub-capsular cataracts (just after my divorce (joy) and just before I started Uni)
  • 2014: passed DVLA checks
  • 2018: diagnosed with macular degeneration in my right eye, caused by the years of scar tissue
    • Meeting with consultant incoming…

I remember them saying back in 1995 that I should get a good 20 - 30 years before my eyesight would start to cause me real problems and would need to be addressed. Holy shit, those 23 years have gone quick!

I have no eye-dea (‘see’ what I did there) how many full ‘seeing eye’ years I have left. 

This is why I try to cram as much into my life as I can. I knew this was on the cards.

It’s how I manage to fit 28 hours into a 24 hour day. 

It’s how I know I can manage to study 2 Animal Behaviour Diplomas at the same time and crack them both in a year whilst working a full-time job. 

It's because I know that one day soon my LIFE will be changed DRASTICALLY.

What I also know is that if anyone sees me with a guide dog, eyepatch and/or white stick and doesn’t have the presence of mind to step aside or give up a seat, I WILL find out who they are and I WILL end them.

I will likely end up Blindy McBlinderson but I can still ensure your body will never be found.

My guide dog will love me unconditionally.



No comments: