Friday 15 February 2013

Pippa Dee & Tupperware

If you were alive in the 70's this will make sense to you, if you weren't, bog off.

My mum did Pippa Dee, Tupperware and Avon. She also did the Pools (what even is that?).

We had parties of some sort in the house all the time growing up.  The Pippa Dee ones were the worst because it meant me and my wee sis would be expected to model the frilly top of the moment.

None of your Ann Summers stuff. This was all proper outfits and matching muffs (keep it clean). Although, I think the Ann Summers woman found her calling at a Pippa Dee party (not sure if it's true but it makes perfect sense to me).

The Pippa-Dee woman would turn up with a tiny case. Out of which she would whip some sort of metal rod thing that turned into a full-on clothes rail. She was like a proper Mary Poppins with that case. Hunners of stuff!

She would hang up all of the latest fashions and ask for models (me and my sis usually).  They usually sported some sort of flower, frill or paisley type pattern.

Many outfits me and my sis had growing up were from Pippa. I won't mention the horrendous amounts of static electricity the produced!

"oooo nice outfit, where is it from" "Pippa Dee" "oh cool, I might have a party"...was pretty much how conversations went in the 70's and very early 80's.

I think every nightie I ever wore was flammable.

When you would have a Pippa Dee party you would be expected to provide nibbles and what better way to present them than on the Lazy Susan you got at your last Tupperware party (along the same lines as Pippa Dee except you're not expected to wear the stuff).

My Mum had all the gadgets. A Lazy Susan, separated bowls and lots of beakers.

Whenever me and Cath went on a school trip, we had our sarnies and grub in a faithful tupperware tub and our milk/juice in a lidded beaker.

Our packed lunch boxes were pretty much Tupperware with different compartments for different food types. Not sure where the pate sandwiches fit mind (boke)!

I slag them off but we had fun at the time.  All the neighbours would go to each others houses every couple of months for a Pippa or Tupperware party.  They were all in it together.  Little bit like a cult.

Things have changed now and Tupperware is still glimmering in the background but Pippa Dee seems to have been swallowed up in the black hole of shit.

We now have Ann Summers and Lakeland.

Kind of the same thing but with a bit of an R rating.

If you need a Lazy Susan phone Tupperware
If you need a frilly top that is very unfashionable, phone Pippa Dee
If you need a vibrating battery operated pretend boyfriend, phone Ann Summers
If you need an egg yolk perfecter, phone Lakeland.

Times have changed.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Brillant! instead of Lakeland, check out "pampered Chef", same thing with peer pressure parties, way over priced rubbish.
It seems to still be in fashion to invite your mates 'round to expose them to high pressure sales techniques and rip them off. But hey, you do get free coffee and nibbles :-)

Unknown said...

I’m ever so glad to see someone thinks the same as me,my sister and I also had to suffer the pippadee clothes.ie,navy blue flammable trousers with a built in crease at the front 😂😭

Anonymous said...

So funny. I remember this well. If you held a party you got a fairly big discount. The who
E whip out the folding rail thing made me roar with laughter- happy, simpler days

Anonymous said...

I can remember the Tupperware parties at my house when younger and actually I am still using the salad crisper that I found when I emptied mum's house. They use to say that you have to " make them burb" let the air out for them to work properly. XX

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of these. Fair gave me a laugh during this C 19 saga.

Unknown said...

Pippa Dee parties were popular for kids clothes, but one I went to had red satin pyjamas for adults. When I asked when one would wear them. I was told "Lounging". Needless to say I did not purchase them,having mo time to lounge!

Anonymous said...

I am actually wearing my Pippa Dee skirt this morning, which has been much admired by my neighbour - aged under 40 !! Of course I did not enlighten her as to it's age, but needless to say I am very pleased that I STILL fit into it.

Pink pumpkin said...

I have a vintage Pippa Dee nightdress from the 70s. I don’t fit into it any more and don’t really know why I’ve kept it, but it’s beautiful grey satin and cream lace. Thanks for the article, brought back great memories of mum and her friends.

Unknown said...

Brilliant 🤣 This gave me a right laugh.
I used to deliver Pippa Dee clothing, even in the eighties. I remember the "excitement" when the "latest fashions" turned up 🤣
We have loads of Tupperware too ... still can never fund a lid that fits

squareclaire said...

Brilliant!!! So glad other people remember this! I thought I was going mad as I tried to explain it to my 36yr old partner! Ha ha, fond memories of my mum and her friends. Although thankfully I never had to model the clothes, as the parties (Tupperware too!) were always held after my bedtime. Who knows? Maybe they were actually Ann summers parties after all?!!

Anonymous said...

I liked Pippa dee clothes they showed your curves off.but I don't go out often too busy trying to keep curves loose style now and no curves