Sunday 21 February 2016

Paul Daniels Magic Set

So, Paul Daniels has an incurable brain tumour. That's just complete shit and anyone else who grew up with him will feel the same. It's horrendous news. Paul is my inner geeky kid and, possibly, my spirit animal. 
"You'll like this, not a lot, but you'll like it."


Now, don't get me wrong, in hindsight the magic set was complete shite - a couple of thimbles, a few plastic balls and cups, a deck of cards, some dice, a couple of plastic rings, some lengths of rope, a couple of coloured hankies, an egg with a hole in it and, of course, a magic wand. The instruction book was quite shite so you just made it up as you went along.


The Paul Daniels Magic Show was a staple of my childhood along with Cagney and Lacey, Dempsey and Makepeace, 3-2-1 with Ted Rogers, and Fraggle Rock.

Watching Paul and Debbie was just what you did. I had the PD Magic Set and had a massive fight with Andrew in my P7* class cos he broke my rings by doing the trick wrong and then lied about it. I didn't like that he lied AND broke my stuff so I punched him. He and his Dad refused to pay for replacements so MY DAD had to 'pop round' and have a word. I got a new magic set.
* This was when we brought 'actual games' to school on the last day of term.
My dad also taught me card tricks so with this PD set and what I already knew, I felt invincible. I still teach my card tricks to kids now. It makes me seem cool - they have no idea that I use a hot water bottle and have ordered a vegetable spiralizer from Lakeland!
Paul Daniels is a legend and will always be so. I hope he manages to kick the arse out of his shitty cancer.

Debbie McGee - you are a legend in your own right x


No comments: