Thursday 24 February 2011

Mass Disasters You Say? Nope, I've Never Attended One!

The lecture tonight at my CPD Forensic Science & Medicine Course was fantastic:


MASS DISASTERS AND HOW TO PUT AN EMERGENCY MORTUARY TOGETHER


However, I think the tutor forgot that none of us had ACTUALLY been at the site of a mass disaster or had put an emergency mortuary together in a field/ice rink/football stadium.  


He would speak and then ask a question and get a little bit agitated when a) we wouldn't answer straight away or b) we answered wrongly but with conviction.

  • Raw: "do you know what, I'm not sure, but I'm going to answer with conviction and stand by it; yes, I think you should do a post mortem" 
  • Forensic Pathologist: "I like your conviction. I like it. Not a lot. You're wrong". 
*class laughs* 


Fuck sake - Paul Daniels impressions...any need??


However, he was brilliant.  


There is no getting away from it.  What this guy doesn't know about mass murder scenes, multiple killings or horrendous natural disasters is not worth knowing.  He was just very funny in his dismissiveness when we answered wrongly in class.


The fact that he was so knowledgable forgave the fact that he was abrupt and short (in every sense of the word).  He went from telling us about the 540 body bags at Lockerbie containing thousands of body parts of unidentified victims, to the woman who made him spam sandwiches on site, like it was totally normal.


This guy spoke about PTSD like it was something that only affected other people.


What made this guy immune?


I don't think he is immune.  


I just think he has found a way to cope - humour and teaching a class of eager students are the ways he does it.


He really was an inspiration and I thought he was brilliant, even though, for a split second, he made me feel like a twat.


If I ever know as much as this man has forgotten, I'll be happy.


I'm loving this course and am now off to start my next essay - crime scene analysis :-)

No comments: