Wednesday 1 December 2010

CSI, Law & Order, Bones and Criminal Minds...Get Tae Fuck!

OMG

I love all of the aforementioned programmes but holy shit they are based on bollock all actual information.

It turns out, you can't ascertain time of death just by looking at the body in a scholarly manner.  You can't tell that the person died from asphyxia just by looking at them and you most certainly can not tell that they hated their husband just cos their wedding ring was a bit squint.

WOW!  Everything I thought I knew has been thrown into confusion.  I was told I had to write an essay on 

"In what circumstances is it essential to determine as accurately and precisely as possible the post mortem interval?  Discuss the limitations of such determinations." 


For fuck sake.  You actually have to talk about shit you think you know.  I have no idea if I will pass the exam.  I have no idea if mentioning CSI, Bones and Law & Order will help or hinder my case:

  • However, due to TV shows such as CSI, Law & Order, Bones and many others of a similar vein, the common myth is that a detective and/or forensic pathologist can turn up at a crime scene, look at the body and then magically determine, sometimes to within a few minutes, the time (and also cause) of death.  
The above is clearly not the case which is made clear in my paper... I just know I am the only one in my class who has mentioned these programmes!

I need to make it clear now, I couldn't give a fishes tit what killed someone.  I don't care that a larvae filled green leaf holds the key to the murder.  I don't give a toss that the mucus found on the body is only prevalent in one part of the whole world.

For me, it's about why the killer killed in the first place.

The psychology of killing, serial murder and how they can do it for so long without detection.

That's what I'm aiming towards and if being a dunce in the forensic science class means that that happens, then crack on...

I for one am excited to be learning again :-)

No comments: